woensdag 27 mei 2015

PhD progress Cities, Europe

Title: Bad, ugly, green, professionals, cities, Europe

Green, meaning the plants, vegetation, trees etc.

Cities.
It is impossible, even for me, to do research on all the cities in Europe. I have three more years to go. The professor and I agreed on that, last January.

Which arguments do I need to introduce, to select, in a week time, three or four cities.

Political correct argument anno 2015 in the Netherlands is 'diversity'.

Diversity? On scale, on age, on geographical siting, on economical situation, language, spatial patterns, on green, on professionals, on beauty (tourist visitor figure), on 'bad' (criminal activities). These are the relevant topics for my research. Is it complete? Did I not mention an important issue, like 'frist things first', probably also typical European.

Where to begin? (Scenario thinking)

Scenario one.

Suppose Lisbon is a city candidate, because it is a city in Europe, timed in the early modern world, containing professionals with a pioneering spirit. 'Only in the seventeenth century, with the increasing exodus of New Christian merchant families, was it overtaken by Amsterdam and London' ( J.J Norwich ed., M. Newitt, The great cities in history, (2009) p.156-158. Personally, when I look at the plan of Lisbon (16th century, Civitates Orbis Terrarum) in this book, something really intriges me. I do not know what exactly, but I feel a need to find out.

When I have enough arguments to choose Lisbon, all other coastel cities in West Europe can be excluded. Question is, can all southern cities be excluded as well? The consequence will be to draw a diagonal line from south-west to the north-east of Europe.

I hear my stomach. I take some time out. See you soon......

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten