dinsdag 19 mei 2015

PhD progress Green, the little plants or flora?

PhD working title: Good, bad and ugly
PhD working subject: Green, architecture, green architecture
Field: History
Time: -2010

A thought / word experiment.
The more I read, the more problems I get with the word 'green'. It is used in so many and multiple ways.
The more I become an academic historian, the more I long for a choice of words which are to depict more precisely what I can survey, study and write about.
The more I mail with my promotor, the more critical I become.

Where has my head, my knowledge, my language been all this time? Why has there never been  a person like this before, to feed me with the real thing? Except for Mrs. de Wit, off course, my former teacher classical languages at the gymnasium of RSG Schoonoord, Zeist, the Netherlands.
And I am so hungry. I was almost starving to death. ( I am a little dramatic, you will get to know me in time)

For instance, the word 'green'. Almost all of us know it as a colour. A colour of material things, in general, living materials (ooooh, it moves! dear architects) included. So, let's keep it simpel, because life is complicated enough already. Deal?

So, suppose, we all agree on this. We do have something in common, now. The language challenge has been overcome.
But what about the urban challenge? ' The green urban challenge', as named in chapter nine, UN report 'Our common future', published 1989? Only twentysix years ago, you remember? It is
available on internet, for free.

Green? The little plants? Just the plants?
You cannot hear these words, but they can be spoken of as something minor. Something one can hardly believe in. Or when one talks to technical educated people, mostly of the male side of life, the
answer is,: ' Plants? That's what my wife takes care of!'
Or.
Is it about the plants, about the vegetation? What about it? There is enough of it, isn't it?

These people do not share the partizanen approach, dear Andreas and Bart. And they are right as well, are they not? These are good people, too. Europeans.( This is meant, lightly provocotive). Maybe they are even your neighbours, not at work I mean, at home I mean, or in church or at the gym or even at the sportsgrounds or in the singing choir or in your private club.
Did Mark Rutte ever speak highly of living material? He likes to fly to the Big Apple, that is what I know. Or any other politician on the right, left or in the middle? Angela Merkel? Obama? Poetin?

Did you know, a tree is a higher plant, according to biologists? And did you know the amount of biologists has been grown substantially, since the seventies of the twentieth century, in Europe? Do you know any micro biologists in your circle of friends or on Facebook? I guess there are far more microbiologists than historians. This I do not know for sure, I have to verify this.
Mijnske, work to do!( this is my dialogue interior)
But, if this is true, than biologists are very well capable of proofing their societal value and they must be very well capable of getting paid for it, somehow. As biologists must be some sort of homo economicus as well.

There are lower and higher plants and plants in between. Algeae, grasses, mosses, vegetables, bushes and trees. The tree is the highest plant. Well, you knew that, didn't you.

I do have one problem with the word 'plant', I cannot pronounce it easily. I do not like the word 'plant' as a sound. I have a physical and an acoustic problem with the word. So, taking in consideration, my lip disability and my sound sensitivity, I like to introduce the word 'flora' in this place. In this in
between of popular and academic writing place, in this blog. How about this?

The word 'flora' has two meanings:
1. The flora of a demarcated area is the inventory of plants which live in this area.
2. A book in which all plants living in a demarcated area, are written of.
(Source: E.J. Weeda, R. Westra, Ch. Westra, T. Westra, Nederlandse oecologische flora. Wilde planten en hun relaties 1, 1985, p.5

Hmmmm. Inventory? Book? Writings?
This reminds me of doing history.
Remarkable.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten