donderdag 16 juli 2015

History. PhDprocess. Postcard from Vienna 2015

What to do?
Walk! Daily 15 or 20 kilometers ( kilometers, not Miles!).
Visit 10 churches and 2 palaces.
Meet a friend. One w no lives in Vienna and studies there, for instance an instrument.
Eat. Where? In the restaurant of the Justizpalast( ,!!), with a roofterrace, good food and a beautiful view garanteed. What? Weiner schnitzels, in any mediocre restaurant.
Drink. Water from the tap is okay.
Fly to. Standard KLM flight, duration 1,5 hours ( Schiphol, Amsterdam AirPort), distance 950 km.

Knowledge.
The Ringstrasse, a broad boulevard , around the citycentre, dates from the second 'flower' time of the city. Nineteenth century we are talking now. Before it was realised, this green boulevard, it appeared like the planners of it were inspired by the urban plan of Paris. Quite a few other planners of other cities in Europe did the same thing: let demolish the stone walls which surrounded the city, make sure plants were introduced in the space created( for instance the city of Münster).
After 1600 Vienna experienced this 'flower' time, after concurring the Ottomans, with the help (cooperation) of the contrareformation, based in Italy.

Impression of the person who sent me the information of above( one of my phd peer group):
Interesting about Vienna is the royal radiance. The innercity contains only buildings which appearance can benamed monumental and pompisch. Churches, castles, public buildings, governmental buildings, shops. The buildings all look extraordinary well kept and glamorous.


It was my pleasure to ask him, about his fresh experience of Vienna, it is even a better pleasure to write this blog in my own writingstyle, to communicatie this information with you.
He didn't write about the amount of elderly, dying or already dead, this year, in Vienna . How come? No information on that at the VVV Vienna or in the tourist brochure in the plane?

And for me for now. I am mot really tempted to pay a visit to Vienna. I am more tempted to by a piece of wood, somewhere near a beautiful place, to create my ideal home. With glass only. I already informed about the price, it seems to be okay for me. 100.000 euro, 900 m2 land, no trees yet, but that us an easy part, some seeds, some water and some time. And the condition, for buying it. The anouncement on internet gives information on the level of that everything is permitted to build on this parcel. Well, since I am studying history, I don't belief anything no more. So, I think the price can be much lower and what about the freedom. Are there no building regulations? Dutch building regulations? European buildingregulations? The parcel lies in the Great City of Greeningen. More I cannot tell you. To be continued.......
One thing for sure, I won't be bored this holy days. Nothing is so good for me as the sound of trees. And, okay, I admit, a good Joke once in a while, once in the three months, or so.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten