zaterdag 25 juli 2015

PhDprocess Six questions of Vinod Subramaniam to Mijnske Sival

Vinod Subramaniam, rector magnificus VU Amsterdam, announced 20 July 2015. Probably reformed Hindoe
Mijnske Sival, promovenda VU Amsterdam, 1 January 2013-now. Van God los / disconnected from God

Vinod and Mijnske are approxinately the same age, likely to be peergroupies. Both have something with 'the world'.

Question one:
Did you study the history of the VU?
Answer one: No, but the building reminded me of the TU Delft, Bouwkunde building, designed by vd Broek and Bakema. A building I loved at first sight and after a few years of studying architecture, the professors honoured me with a title and a signed diploma for Ingeniera. Later, I even was honoured and named at the top ten list of best architects, according to the prix the Rome competition Architecture 2000-2001, in the city of Rotterdam. I did read something about Abraham Kuiper. He went to the East, in the beginning of the twentieth century and he came back. He went West again, so to say. I really like the name the best, Vrije Universtiteit, Free University.

Question two.
Do these facts relate to a religious source?
Answer two.
It is a fact that a number of people at the VU has an open mind for all sorts of backgrounds. I could be the girl on the photo, with a headscarf (because of all the headaches). The policy core business slogan of the VU of the college year 2014-2015 is : give confidence. So beautiful!

Question three.
Does this career move mean the end of your architects career?
Answer three.
Yes. Definitely. Maybe I am pretty young........ The previous twenty years I noticed that working with young people, like me, gives me a very good feeling. And working with, mainly Dutch, complaining clients did not give me a good feeling. Now,  to engage new territories, distant knowledge / nano teaching and researching is the most adventurous to do. The VU gives me this very  pioneering opportunity.

Question four.
The end of a career in the designing world. How do you think about educating almost 25.000 VU students?

Answer four.
It is simple. Give them an iPAD. We have become 'Americans' anyway, and then they can read and counter my blogs and blogs by other 'teachers' anytime and join actively and open in the discours around it. Also, do treat/ spoil all tutors, lecturers, professori' s with the same product. Next question will be, what to do with the heritage of the second hand designed building? Maybe all students and tutors can make money here, inspiring the elderly or other minority groups in the world, with sharing their knowledge, give the advice they have asked for  or simply share funny video's. It seems that all sorts of people in the world have hardly anything to laugh about.....


Question five.
The heritage. A failed fusion between the technical faculties of the VU and the UvA.
Answer five.
I admit. I was too late. Nobody introduced me to both boards. But that can change now, of course, since you are the rector magnificus. Opportunities enough, for growth and cooperation in the future.

Question six.
Scientific mal behavior. Is it necessary for new policies?
Answer six.
Not necessarily. Scientific mal behavior is from all times and all places. It is the habit of people, just like journalists and other people. Funny that you ask, for the original title of my PhD was'The Good,
the Bad and the Ugly', a film , directed by Sergio Leone in the sixties of the previous century. Dark coloured people did star in this film. Something you cannot say of the VU these days. Maybe I have to distribute some dark coloured make-up in the beginning of the next college year. At the roof terrace event. I know a few professori who could use some colour. They don't go to the beach in summertimes, they keep on working......and try to keep up with all these energetic hormone conducted PhDstudents.
Yeah, that's a revolutionairy idea. It seems there is this fantastic party in the Netherlands, on the fifth of December, quite a few persons do the same thing. That'll make you look like St.Nicholas! Wow, you can be integrated in the Netherlands before Christmas 2015.

Vinod: thank you for your time, fir your thoughts.

Mijnske: I loved this interview. I loved you questioning me. Thank you. Thank you so much. I wish you all the best of luck in your new job. Hope to meet you soon, again.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten