vrijdag 19 juni 2015

PhD process 90 minutes with Elmer Sterken

I will finish the weekend news on contemporary law in the Netherlands. I Promise you. The question now is, when? Since I am not a planner. Because I am trying the scholarly thing, anno 2015 ( that is my excuse, later, I will discuss the Thing thinking, something of today, something I do and something others did in the past)

Today, this morning, I am invited, I was invited, ( factual writing), at Oude Boteringestraat 44, city of Groningen, the Netherlands. The meeting was arranged by Dirk Pranger, ecologist and friend, former studyfriend of Elmer. We were very friendly to each other. Elmer is a very nice person. I first met him when I was in training, atlethics, cross and ten kilometer. Although I did run half a marathon once. That was one time life experience. I did it within nineteen minutes. And we finished up eating applepie with Elmer and Denise in their beautiful old artdeco like house in Apeldoorn. But no more extreem running, thank you. I do jogging 'on souplesse' now, 15 minutes.

Why did I go there? Curiosity, opportunity. We were promised a universitybuilding tour. Always nice, to roam around in buildings which are not quite accessible in daily life. And you know, while walking around, talking about things happen. So, I got to know some things, which could become of interest, someday.

Elmer likes to tell nice stories. No great stories though. You won't hear the great stories of Groningen from him. Merely anekdotes. He himself has s history in econometrics, and, as I learned today, he has an opinion towards historians. I heard him say ' They try to be complete' and ' they write so many words, the books are so thick' and ' footnotes, pages and pages with footnotes, who is interested in that?'. Karel van Berkel? Karel is Karel.

And, Elmer and I had a discussion about 'the public', ' science' and communication. Jet, PABO mama's and the feeling of penetration. It reminded me of the ' protection  reflex', something I sense
by certain people and about which has been written about in history. Elmer had the strong opinion that the UNIVERSITY is capable of making up all the big questions themselves. No need for public questions. Eleventhousand questions! Organised by the team of Jet (Bussemaker, minister of Education). ViVE l' Autonomous Uni!

Off course I brought up the 'green' University building for biology, the Linneus building. A few years ago realised on the campusground of the University. That is not green, Elmer replies, nothing to do with energy. Energy? I mean, the plants, factual green. O, well. Then I tried to bring the conversation on some more international level, informing him about all the biology University buildings in Europe and that these buildings are all situated in plant rich surroundings.  He was obviously more content
with the stories he could tell about the old universitybuildings and their founders in the citycentre
than the newer buildings on the universitycampus and Henky P. End of  discussion. Next topic...

Definitely a familyman, not a man of dreams. I don't have dreams as well. I talk easy, I have Mus  (male for Muze). Very nice information to hear was that  Elmer will be here and in his current position in January 2017. And the RUG seems to have loads and loads of cash flow...... But then I seem to have become acquainted with my Peers here. The question is, do I want that. And, who are they? Till now I have two Peers in Belgium and ten Peers in Amsterdam. Two I have never seen nor met, the ten in Amsterdam I meet once or twice a year. It is in my psychological profile as well. That I swop Peers every now and then ( high intelligente and sensitivity profile). Or are there other mores for econometrists and ecologists than for historians? Adapting to University moresses...........I don 't even know what they are, these mores. I heard about the saying: learning a mores/ een lesje leren, je mores leren. Sounds rather agressive, threathening. Not my cup of tea.


Is Elmer Sterken a burger/ burgher/ burgervader... Did Simon Schama ( British historian) already write about him  in the context of Dutch culture, situated three hundred years earlier ( book: The embarresment of Richness. . Did Jan Steen paint him and his (sick) daughter in the painting ' the burger of Delft and his daughter' (1655). Did Lou reed sing about it on his album/ cd 'Berlin', fortunate man.....poor man.....
Burgers en buitenlui (citypeople/civilians/insiders and  countryfolk/ outsiders).......to be continued.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten