donderdag 25 juni 2015

PhD process PEACE! Naming the stars

Yesterday was a little bit dramatic. Exageration, is sometimes good for the story. And to get rid of cliché s, the platitudes.

Today is a day of peace in my mind. I have to sleep less and less. Three Mijnske history stars were born this morning.
Stars?
In deep space nine it is all dark, except the seasnails. And as you know by now, historians write thick books ( and now and then a small book or blogs) and that takes time. I like to compare actions of myself and others with animal characteristics, like movement, appearance, colours. I have bern looking 'Fabeltjeskrant ' in the seventies of the twentieth century. A typical Dutch TV program for kids. Inspired by Mr. Owl. Mr. Owl always stayed calm, sitting at a branch of a tree. He did the first and the last talking. He or she, had this very nice colour blue. The voice was, mmmm, how was the voice, I like to think this over some time. Calm, like I did, when looking at Mr. Owl, for the five minutes broadcasting time being. I really became a news addict, I like to think of that, as myself, or, maybe it just one of my many needs as a Mijnske, or, it is just opportunity looking, or, it is a confinement to 'you never know' , which has two meanings in Dutch, or, it was the only opportunity as an seven year old to hear something about the world. The 'real' world. I realise now, that nobody, this is becoming tragically now, nobody asked me or told me anything what could be of my interest. I mean , nobody in my family. Except my grandfather from the Sival family. My other grandfather, the grandfather from the Stoker family had a television and with him I looked to the landing on the moon, in 1968. That was a very nice thing to do, together. Short after that he died. I will tell you more stories about grandfather Stoker sometime. It was a man who looked you straight in the eye, afraid of nobody. Enjoying his morning coffee in China ( the porcelain). My Mother threw all this China
through the windowglass, one day. Quite a temper you might say!

O, o, I need a lot of words, again, I realise all of a sudden.
I just spent an hour drawing five pointing stars and writing text in and around the stars. At first
I had drawn five stars on a small piece of paper, namimg them 'ruimte' (space), 'geld' (money), 'universal, university' , 'people', 'material'. Trying to make visual, to visualize 'what we all have in common', as a sort of zero- measurement (nulmeting).

What is here ( on planet Earth)?
What do we ( all the people) do?
What are we thinking we do?

Then I opened my official sketchbook ( made from used paper, A 4 size, covered with an art invitation, also A4size).

I draw three five pointing stars, writing 'people' in one them, writings 'space' in one of them and writing 'material' in one of them.

This is what I aimed to do for almost three years now. To name and draw the 'essence', the 'core- business' of how I 'see' the 'world'. How people 'see' the 'world' seems to be quite diverse these days. I did not have a world 'view', when I started this PhD, I realised. And, actually, I had no clue what to do first, anyway. So I took the written advice of Loesje, questioning ' how to 'eat' the world ( Hoe behap je de wereld): Just start with the tastiest parts ( Gewoon, bij de lekkerste stukjes beginnen. Een creatieve gebruiksaanwijzing voor de rest van de eeuw.(2012). Samengesteld door jongeren en 65 + ers.

I knew what I liked best, I didn't know what I thought of as the tastiests, still don't know, but that is
another story. I know now what I wanted to know and what is the mores, the aim in studying history.


So, here I am , two winwin situations and one situation in development.
Not bad. ( typical Northern self evaluation thinking)
Or
Good enough, more than fifty percent
Or
Not good enough, I didn't achieve the 100 %

And what did I promise myself?
To live up to the full 100 %
Sometimes a golden ring with  thirtysix 'globes' helps one to reminds one of oneself, at least, me.

What does this have to do with Europe?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten